Friday, 3 April 2015

Homespun Mess...

I've been thinking about blogging a lot lately. Thinking about what it is I want to blog about, how I want it to progress, and the topics I want to blog about. I guess it's been no mystery that I've been suffering from a small bout of 'Bloggers Block' recently, due to the lack of posting, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I saw this article from the lovely Gala Darling, and it hit the nail on the head.

I was burned out!


So, I expect by this point you're thinking...”What has being burned out got to do with photos of a messy bedroom?” Well here's the thing...this blog may be about living a lovely slower pace of life, and doing it in a homespun way but, I want to be honest with you readers, and share the behind the scenes with you.
There are masses of bloggers out there spreading a message of “Look how wonderful my life is, and it can all be yours if you live in London/the countryside, earn £100,000+, don't have children, will sell your soul for a decent advertising gig.” And that is not what Hannah's Homespun Life is about.
Yes, the slower pace of life is obtainable, and the picturesque surroundings are too but, this is me exposing what it can be like in our “dinky little Edwardian flat”, and boy is it small.

Those shots of feet snuggled under patchwork quilt are very lovely, and I thoroughly enjoyed sewing that quilt on cold Autumn nights infront of the telly but, sometimes our bed is strewn with damp towels, and clean laundry which needs to be put away, and hairdryers which get dumped there in the morning rush.
Sometimes, it's nice and neat, with fresh sheets, and the clean clothes get hung up straight away and you can actually see the floor in our tiny bedroom.
And sometimes, it doesn't happen like that.


Sometimes, the sun comes streaming through my kitchen window at the precise moment that I want to photograph the cake I spent the last hour baking. And sometimes a van parks infront of my kitchen window on the road outside, obstructing nearly all the natural light for the majority of the day. Sometimes shopping gets dumped, and I can't be bothered to move it until it's time for dinner and I'm sick of eating off our laps in the living room, and actually want to sit at the table. And ALWAYS, does my husbands expensive road bike live in the kitchen, cluttering up our small space because he's too scared to store it outside incase it gets knicked or gets rusty. (Calm down, Wiggo!)


And sometimes, those inspiring shots of books and diaries piled by my laptop are because there's no more room on the coffee table, for keys and mugs and post which needs to be sorted through. Sometimes, I'm sat at my laptop without brushing my hair or cleaning my teeth. Sometimes I procrastinate whilst watching episodes of Barefoot Contessa.

Sometimes it's ok to let the dishes pile up, or the laundry go un-washed for a couple of days. Life is for living. The housework will always be there. If you do it, one day, it'll be there again the next.
It's at times like these that I remember why I'm writing this blog...because I love it. And if I'm burning myself out, then it can only end in tears.
So I'll take a deep breath, put the kettle on, or go for a walk round the park, and just step away from it all for a minute.
How does that sound?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely.It's always such a delight to read your comments. xx

      Delete
  2. Realistic is what is sounds! I think we can all do with stepping away sometimes. If we're being really honest, everyone knows that real life isnt always like that - that sort of Pinterest-hued perfection. But sometimes as a reader, when you've got chaos around you and have had a crap day, reading a little bit od escapism - even if it might be unrealistic sometimes - is quite nice. Yet it's equally nice to read a rant about a real life topic or read somebody's review of something. I think we all get something different out of reading a blog and want something different depending on our mood and our personality.

    We all know life's not perfect. I often beat myself up about not posting for a bit when i see some bloggers churning them out. Then i remember that real life is more important and if my readers like my little blog, they'll hang around for when i have got time to put effort and thought into something instead of throwing something out there that's half arsed. Whatever that might be!

    I love reading your little blog and don't comment enough. So i'll always check in whenever your block clears up xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally,
      Thanks for your comment. Sorry I'm a little late getting back to you.
      I'm glad my pictures of my messy house haven't put you fof reading my blog. I do love a healthy dose of escapsim, and I guess that's what I set out to create on this corner of the internet but, it's like Dumbledore says... "It doesn't do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live." :)
      Sometimes a nice slice of reality is just what we need to help us appreciate what we've got around us. Don't you agree?

      P.S. I think I've got rid of the writers block. Fingers crossed!

      Delete