Thursday, 26 March 2015

A Cottage to Call My Own


Lately, I've been finding myself dreaming. Dreaming of a thick stone walled cottage, with a pile of boots by the front door ready for walks in the countryside. Of a wood burning stove roaring in the living room, and a cast iron kettle sitting on top, whistling it's head off, waiting to make steaming hot cups of tea. Big squishy armchairs, antique rugs, exposed beams, flagstone kitchen floors, toasty range oven to warm your bum on when you walk in the door from work. (This is the point where I let out a sigh of despair.)

How I love our dinky little flat, in all it's draughty glory but, something just doesn't fit anymore. We're both getting itchy feet (myself and the husband). We're both longing to set down roots and somewhere we can call home. I love that old saying "Home is wherever I'm with you", and for us that is definitely true but, we're both longing for somewhere that we can put our stamp on. Somewhere we can adorn the walls, with art and wedding photos without having to worry about what the landlord might say. Somewhere where we can choose the furniture, and the colour of the walls, and rip out the garden if we do so wish.

Until we find that place, I shall emerse myself in hexi-quilt sewing, and baking bread, and growing herbs by my back door. I shall light my candles in the Welsh slate hearth of our bricked up fireplace, and pretend it's really logs burning. I shall take a stroll to my nearest park and pretend I didn't hear those sirens over the birdsong.

Here's to daydreaming. It's ok to do it once in a while y'know. 

Until next time,
Hannah. x


If you're looking for a bit more cottage inspiration then visit my Pinterest page, where you can find all the above images too.

4 comments:

  1. I would love a cottage =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just the cutest?! I have to admit I have been spending far too much time on the RightMove app lately lusting after pretty cottages we could never afford. :'(
      xx

      Delete
  2. Looks like pure cottage perfection to me, that kitchen is so cosy and welcoming, yes please!!! Katie x

    http://www.long-may-she-rain.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, me too. I'm a sucker for a cosy kitchen too. :)
      Thanks for your comment.
      Hannah. x

      Delete