Saturday, 21 February 2015

Hexies: My latest crafting addiction...


I know things have been a little slow here on the blog lately. Needless to say, I've been whole heartedly embracing the 'Go Slow' mentality recently. The day job has been taking over a little, and by the time I come in the door, I'm almost instantly ready to crawl into bed.

A little light crafting in the evenings, snuggled up infront of the telly has certainly been helping to lift my mood, and switch my brain off from anything work related. I've been going through piles of scraps which have been saved in bundles in our spare room. Not bearing to part with them, in fear that they may come in handy one day. And they most certainly did. For any thrift-loving crafter, a hexi-quilt is the perfect excuse to use up any left over scraps from a recent project, and even better, each little piece of fabric can tell a story. From that favourite pair of pyjamas that have seen better days, to a left over scrap from a project you gifted to someone else but wish you'd kept for yourself.

You may have noticed on my instagram feed, that I finished my very first hexi quilt just before Christmas. Many an evening is spent snuggled under it with my dear husband, in our draughty living room. It now permanently lives on our bed too.


It's such a great sense of achievement seeing a pile of paper pieces turn into lots of lovely tacked little hexagons all lined up in my favourite Emma Bridgewater tin. It's even more rewarding to see them in all their glory as a quilt too. And what's even better is that they can be taken anywhere with me, so long as I can rest my little tin on my lap. The husband is much happier too, as I can quickly tidy away my mess at the end of the evening, packing all my sewing bits into my dinky little Peter Rabbit house tin, and I can sort all my hexies into colours too.

You'll be surprised how many hexies you can tackle whilst watching an episode of Friends on Netflix, or in half an hour whilst dinner is in the oven. I was even more surprised that I managed to complete a Moses basket sized topper in just over a fortnight's worth of evenings. I can't wait to see the look on my friends face when I give it to her before she goes on maternity leave in a couple of weeks.
This lovely blog post was one of my main sources of inspiration whilst learning to make my first hexi-quilt. Not to mention the fact that she uses the cutest fabrics.

So what are you waiting for? If you're looking for a craft project that won't leave you chained to your sewing machine, yet gives you the biggest creative fix, then this is definitely one for you.

I'll be sure to keep you updated on the progress of the quilt as it grows and grows. Enjoy your weekend lovelies.

Hannah. x


  

6 comments:

  1. These look like crafting bliss indeed, a great idea! I need some more practice on my sewing machine skills but I really enjoy having a go regardless, perfect tin to keep them safe in too!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie. It really is rather therapeutic. And even better because you don't need to use your sewing machine a great deal until you have to finish the quilt off. Go on, have a go. :)
      Hannah. x

      Delete
  2. They are so cute =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em. I'm glad you think so.
      Hannah. x

      Delete
  3. Ooh, this looks very exciting! Love the fabric :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sammy. Finally putting my fabric stash to good use. :)
      Hannah. x

      Delete