Sunday, 1 February 2015

Favourite Cruelty Free Products


I've never been one for New Years Resolutions. I always thought they were a little bit naff, and for people who were a little bit flaky. My resolution was always not to make resolutions, and thus far it has served me quite well. Until I read somewhere that the trick to making them stick, was not to cut out certain things but, to try to do more of something and put a positive spin on it. So, one of my resolutions this year was to use more cruelty free products. For those of you who aren't familiar, cruelty-free means the product itself nor any of the ingredients have been tested on animals. Win, win all round!

So, what better way to kick things off by sharing with you all a round up of my favourite cruelty-free bath and beauty products. Let's kick things off with my favourite...The Body Shop.  


My mum has been buying their products since before I was a baby (back in the Anita Roddick days), and has passed on her love of them to me. The smell of their Strawberry Lip Butter, and Satsuma Shower Gel transport me back to my childhood every time I get a whiff. This brand was one of the real pioneers of cruelty-free beauty products. They were campaigning against animal testing long before it was cool, or anyone else had cottoned on, and have remained true to their ethics ever since. (Although there has been a little controversy in recent years about their buy out by L'Oreal. Ooer!)
My products of choice have got to be their Raspberry Body Butter, their Honey eau deToilette, and of course that old classic Cocoa Butter Hand & BodyLotion (which I use on my face, just like my mum.)


Who knew high street giants such as; Superdrug and Boots own brand products weren't tested on animals? I didn't, until a very nice hippy friend filled me in on the details. I am now a massive advocate for the “Simply Pure” range from Superdrug. Their Micellar Water is great for removing make-up and is perfect for sensitive skin, and the price tag isn't bad either. As is, the Boots Botanics range. Their Rosewater Toning Spritz has a really delicate scent, and the Ionic Clay Mask makes my face feel like it can finally breathe after layers of make-up and city pollution have attacked. Another thing I also swear by, is their Lavendar Oil. Perfect for dotting on the corner of your pillow if you're having trouble sleeping, or I put a little dab on the collar of my top sometimes to help with the nerves if I have a pretty big meeting coming up.


I am pretty fussy when it comes to make-up. My poor sensitive skin can't just handle any old foundation and concealer without breaking out in massive spots. So when I find something that works, I stick to it like glue. Which made trying out cruelty-free cosmetics a particular challenge. I was chuffed to bits when I discovered e.l.f cosmetics though. Not only are they based in Wales ,with their flagship store in Cardiff but, they are really reasonably priced and the coverage of their base products is amazing. (Just £7.50 for foundation!) I'm really looking forward to trying out a few more of their products too...including the HD Powder, and their brow kits.  


I've also begun to spread the 'cruelty-free' love around our house too, by getting the husband to jump on the bandwagon also. He's a big fan of the OriginalSource shower Gels as they too, smell as divine as The Body Shop ones (and they contain completely vegan ingredients). I'm also using Baylis & Harding hand soaps around the house. And my all time favourite handcream (the smell reminds me of my Grandma) is Crabtree& Evelyn Rosewater Hand Therapy. It's absolute bliss!

If anyone else has got some recommendations for other cruelty-free brands, or products they swear by, I would love to hear from you. Perhaps we could get a bit of a list on the go to help spread the word to other readers.

Catch up with you soon,
Hannah. x






No comments:

Post a Comment