Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Are you feeling Pretty Nostalgic?


I know I am!!

Some of the eagle-eyed among you may have noticed a couple of buttons on my sidebar about 'Pretty Nostalgic', so let me tell you all about it.

Pretty Nostalgic is a beautiful quarterly published compendium founded by the fabulous Nicole from South Wales. It features hand-picked content written by passionate contributors, and not just journalists, about a whole range of subjects which celebrate a creative and sustainable lifestyle. (Something we all know I rave about on here.) It doesn't feature any adverts, only promoting the wares of it's dedicated readers and society members, sharing and networking business amongst a growing team of artisans, crafters and generally fascinating people all over the country, and even further afield.

I stumbled across Pretty Nostalgic back in my Uni days amongst the likes of Cross Stitcher and Period Living magazine in my local WHSmith. It immediately caught my eye, striking a chord in my fashion industry exhausted heart with it's thick litho-printed pages, and beautiful images of vintage fashions and lifestyles. It was love at first sight. The magazine has since re-launched itself as a society, inviting its members to get involved in a community of like-minded individuals who crave a slower pace of life, appreciating good quality hand-made products from businesses who may reside on your doorstep.

The Pretty Nostalgic Society's motto is “Spend Wisely, Waste Less, Appreciate More” which is how I try to live my life every day, and is the general ethos of this whole blog also.  


It is passionate about living a sustainable lifestyle too. Paying a fair price for goods, and paying it into the hands of the people that produce those goods, so they can put their money back into the local economy. It's not just about the handmade either, it's about recycling too. From mending a moth-eaten wool jacket, to re-wiring an old radio, or even making a dress from a pattern and not just nipping down to your nearest shopping centre to pick something off the rack.
It's about celebrating our skills as individuals, and passing on a legacy to those that come after us. It's about showing that we are not just a generation of consumers, but showing that we appreciate the time and effort which has gone into making something, so the person that made it might earn a living.


If you're currently reading this, and thinking “Oh my goodness, I know exactly what you mean. I wish more people had this frame of mind.” Then you need The Pretty Nostalgic Society in your life.

  • The compendium is published in March, June, September and December.
  • It costs £12 for each issue, if you buy individually.
  • Or you can subscribe for £40 for the year, or 4 quarterly payments of £10.

Not only will you receive this beautiful publication but you will also be given discounts to Pretty Nostalgic Businesses, as well as being invited to local, regional and national meet-ups, getting a chance to meet like-minded individuals who are just as potty about being a Nostalgianeer as you are.

And just because I love you all so much, here's a sneaky peek at the cover of the next issue, due out in March. Be still my vintage loving, beating heart.


I'll catch up with you all very soon.
Take Care,
Hannah. x






No comments:

Post a Comment