Wednesday, 12 November 2014

Wednesday Bliss

Ok, so I know the photo makes you think otherwise but today I'm going to try and steer clear of the “Ermagerd-its-nearly-Christmas” vibe and focus on a different list of seasonal treats that are currently making me happy at the moment.
And I'm thinking I like the title of this post enough to make it stick, so from now on these little weekly ditties will be known as “Wednesday Bliss”. How does that sound?


Here goes...


1. Rain! Wait, wait, wait...before you go thinking I've completely lost the plot, let me explain. Being an honorary Welshie, this is one of those things that I've just had to make peace with. It rains here... a lot! So in an attempt to see the silver lining, I certainly am thankful for rain. Be-it walking into work in my wellies and putting the kettle on to thaw out in the staff room before my shift starts, or returning home from a long day, discarding my boots on the door mat and slipping into a pair of clean PJ's...these are definitely some of the perks of perpetual rain at this time of year.

2. Stews & Bakes. A pan of slow cooking lamb, blipping away in the slow cooker, or the smell of a lightly browning Shepherds Pie in the oven. This is the perfect time of year for these seasonal treats. My particular favourite combinations at the moment are a Chilli con Carne style mix, topped with sweet potato mash and baked in the oven. Or celeriac mash and cheese, on top of left over lamb. Yum! This is making me hungry already.

3. Sewing. One of my favourite hobbies by far. I knew that long before I turned my back on the fashion industry. As much as I love sitting in front of my sewing machine, piecing together a dress for myself, or a pinafore for my niece, I much prefer hand-sewing sitting in front of the telly. With a cuppa to hand, my sewing tin perched on the arm of the sofa, and a comforting film to watch, I find it's the perfect way to unwind in the evenings.

4. Reminiscing. This time of year, I always feel particularly nostalgic, not only due to the fact that it was almost 7 years ago in December, at a festive school reunion that my husband asked me if I “wanted to be his girlfriend” but, we recently received our wedding photos from our photographer. Going back through them all and having a good giggle has definitely been good for the soul, and we're feeling very lucky and looking toward the future already.

5. Peace & Quiet. I'm the kind of person that definitely enjoys my own company. When you're working in a job where you talk to people all day, with background music included, sometimes it's nice to have silence. The Mr will often walk in from work, whilst I'm making dinner in complete silence and comments on how strange it is not to have the radio or the TV on in the background. Today I was relishing in the peace and quiet, while I sat hunched over my coffee table, sticking old postage stamps onto luggage tags to make gift tags for Christmas (sorry, couldn't resist a little mention), and it was just what I needed. Bliss!

What have you all been up to this week? What's your Wednesday Bliss? I'd love to her from you.

Until next time...
Hannah. x

No comments:

Post a Comment