Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Hump-Day Happiness...

Ok, so I'm not 100% on the title of this feature but nevertheless, I think it would be nice if this became a regular feature on this here blog. I'm the kind of person who likes to have nice things to constantly look forward to. So in writing these regular blog posts on a Wednesday, making a list of things that are currently making me happy, or events I may be looking forward to, it is definitely helping me toward slowing down and appreciating the simple things in life. Therefore, without further ado, here is my list of things which I am particularly fond of at this time of year/this week...

1. Pumpkin Streusel Muffins!!! Holy cow, these are good...and the recipe for them comes from lovely friend, Lisa's, blog called Sweet 2 Eat Baking. Lisa is an amazing baker with such an incredible imagination when it comes to recipe ideas. I would love to spend the day in her head, thinking up all the incredible flavour combinations and ideas she comes up with. I made these muffins this Sunday, just past, and took them to my mum's for dessert after Sunday lunch. They were devoured with a cup of tea, and a healthy dollop of creme fraiche on the side. She even asked me to leave a few behind for the next day. Next on my 'To Bake' list is Lisa's recipe for Toffee Apple Pudding! Phwoar!

2. Winter Pyjamas, Yes, they are finally out. In all their fluffy, brushed cotton glory as I heave my PJ drawer open in my bedroom. Yippee! These chilly evenings, and even colder mornings are finally calling for bed socks and dressing gowns, and snuggly sets of pyjamas gently toasting on the radiator, just waiting for me to dive in. How I love to hibernate.

3. Christmas Cake. Well, I had to get something Christmas related in here, didn't I? In an attempt to have a slower, more thrifty Christmas, I have gradually been gathering the ingredients for my Christmas cake over the past few weeks. A bag of sultanas in our weekly shop, popping to the deli on my lunch break for some candied mixed peel, nipping into the local mini-mart on my way home from work for a bag of ground almonds. I've been determined to save some pennies this year and using what little spare change I have left in my purse to purchase little bits here and there, and it's really making a difference. Try it. You might be surprised.

4. Gun Powder, Treason and Plot! I've always been fascinated by the story of Guy Fawkes, ever since my Primary School History lessons. One of the things that I love about our British Heritage is that we can keep a festival going 400 years after it happened, when nothing really actually 'happened' in the end anyway. I love how each family has it's own traditions when it comes to Bonfire Night, be-it trooping down to the local rugby club for a community run display, or simply sitting in your living room window with all the lights off watching everyone else's fireworks in your street. My favourite tradition was several years ago, whilst I was in Uni. I would be in charge of the baked potatoes, and all our friends would congregate in our kitchen picking their favourite toppings before wrapping them in tinfoil, and tea towels then we would trek across the field opposite our house and sat at the top of the hill by our Uni which overlooked the river Medway. We would watch all the fireworks for miles around,whilst eating our steaming hot jacket potatoes and drinking maybe a can or two of cider, before finishing off in our 'local' for a night cap, all chilly and rosy before heading home to bed. Bliss!

5. Pretty Nostalgic Society. And last but not least is something I am particualry passionate about. This organisation started life as an independant magazine for vintage lovers and history geeks, such as myself. It has now morphed into the wonderfully retro 'Pretty Nostalgic Society' becoming a some-what co-operative for those who are passionate about crafting, baking, making, using traditional methods, up-cycling, recycling and just generally a less consumeristic lifestyle...and more importantly supporting local makers, and small British industries. Created by the lovely Nicole, Pretty Nostalgic is about to launch it's first compendium in December, as an official society, and as a Pretty Nostalgic Pioneer, I cannot wait! And, even better, if you're watching those old purse strings as much as I am at the moment, then you can now get a Quarterly Subscription so you don't have to fork out a lump sum of money to get your mitts on the new mag. What are you waiting for?!


So, there you have it. My weekly round-up of seasonal and not-so-seasonal things that make me happy. What is making your week particularly enjoyable so far? I'd love to hear from you.
And if you've got any suggestions on what I should call this weekly blog occurance then I would love that too. Answers on a postcard...or in a comment. Whichever floats your boat.
Or you can get in touch with me on twitter or instagram too.

Hannah. x

No comments:

Post a Comment