Monday, 27 January 2014

Lazy Baking Days


Sometimes, when the urge to bake takes you, you just have to go with it. And on this particularly wet and gloomy afternoon, I was seeking almost instant gratification for minimum effort. So, off I pottered to the kitchen in my half asleep state from a very early start (in my pyjamas, ofcourse) and rustled up a batch of perfectly buttery, not to mention thrifty, Cornish Fairings.

The simple act of combining ingredients and dropping them onto a baking sheet in a semi-comatose state was just what I needed, and the result were very rewarding.



Citrussy spiced, biscuits with the perfect combination of crunchy and chewyness to them became a match made in heaven with a cup of tea in favourite new Peter Rabbit mug (a present from the Mr for Christmas). I then hauled myself off to bed for an hour, only to be greeted by the sound of the Mr arriving home from work and joyous calls of “Cor it smells good in here! Have you been baking?” before he swiftly pinched one from the cooling rack.

And thus, that comforting feeling was sustained by the happy notion that I had filled someone else's belly and also made them happy. Bliss. My work here is done!



And in the spirit of spreading that warm and fuzzy feeling. Here is the recipe I used from the Great British Book of Baking, no less.

100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp ground mixed spice
40g caster sugar
50g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
1tbsp mixed peel, finely chopped
3 tbsp golden syrup, level not rounded (gently warmed)

Preheat the oven to Gas5/ 190°c.

Sift the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Add the butter, and rub into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the mixed peel, followed by the golden syrup to make a stiff dough.

Using your hands, divide the mixture in 18 marble sized pieces and roll into balls. Put on a greased baking tray, spacing well apart as they will spread during baking. (I made them in batches of 6).

Bake in the oven for 7 to 8 minutes. Keep an eye on them though, because of the golden syrup, just 30 seconds too long and they can colour too quickly.
Leave to cool on the tray for 5 mins to firm up before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Best enjoyed with a cup of tea in your favourite mug, and store in an airtight container. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your new mug. I had eyed it up in the Emma Bridgewater catalogue but with far too many of her mugs already could not sensibly justify another - it's so cute though! Thanks for sharing the recipe - they sound lovely treats. I love citrusy flavours and don't think they should be just reserved for Christmas time. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I have to admit I am scared every time I use it. We have had many a mug casualty in our house. These biscuits are perfect for a rainy day. They bring real warmth and comfort from the flavour. xx

      Delete