Monday, 18 November 2013

From Season to Season


It's been a lovely lazy few days round these parts. Myself and the Mr have enjoyed a few days off work together and thus, have been slowing down, gradually getting into hibernation mode. And it turned out to be exactly what we both needed.
A couple of cinema dates, lunch at my parents' house, and very many well deserved lie-ins were followed by a lovely day taking in the seasons in the chocolate box village of St Fagans which is but a short drive from our home. Within the village resides a lovely open air museum which holds a special place in my heart. This place evokes many a fond memory of Primary School trips spent with a freshly baked Bara Brith tucked in my rucksack to take home for my mum, or sneaking a couple of Cola pips from a paper bag as we explored a time line street of cottages and 40's prefabs, or squelching through pits of mud ready to wattle and daub a Celtic roundhouse. It really is a child's dream.

On this particular day, it was perfectly quiet. We strolled about the leave strewn lanes leading from farmhouse to mill, to working men's club, and then made our way down to the grounds of the wonderfully grandiose manor house which sits in amongst perfectly manicured gardens and greenhouses. Even the dog seemed to enjoy himself, barking at a particularly menacing looking boar in the field next to the farmhouse, and splashing his way through puddles from the day before.


Sometimes it's nice to get away from the traffic noise, and switch your phone onto silent, and just take in the fresh air and the elements around you. Despite the trees looking perfectly Autumnal and golden, I fear since that our visit that they may have lost most of their jewels in the wind and the rain. It well and truly feels like Winter is creeping in upon us, which makes me even more thankful for this lovely sunny but chilly day, spent crunching through leaves before they are spoiled by Jack Frost, and a cold, wet Welsh winter.

This hibernation spirit, has certainly come at a perfect time and I think from now on, my evenings will be spent crafting Christmas gifts and consuming far too many hot toddies and mugs of cocoa groaning under a pile of marshmallows. As much as I love Autumn, I'm ready to slow down into the coldest part of our seasonal year, and anticipate the arrival of Christmas, and then...Spring! But maybe not too soon, ok?





4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures!! Looks like such a nice walk :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. Just what we needed to blow the cobwebs away. :) It was so nice and quiet too. Although I did startle the dog a little from my kicking through leaves. Yes, I am such a child.

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful post, it really does feel like we are tipping on the edge of winter, and at any second it will be full on consistent cold. Its one of my favourite times of year. Hooray for hot chocolate, layers and an extra excuse to snuggle up xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it just..? I'm all about the layers now. My Mr is sick of me checking the weather and asking him several times before he leaves the house in the morning "Have you got your scarf and gloves?" I love it. xxx

      Delete