Sunday, 10 November 2013

Crafting Christmas Gift Tags




One of the things I love most about Christmas is the creativity that surrounds it. It gives opportunity for even the most inartistic person to throw caution to the wind and dabble in a little creative crafts be it in the form, of sewing, gluing,painting or even cooking. There's nothing quite like sitting at the kitchen table on a rainy November afternoon when it's blowing a gale outside, and putting Pritt Stick to paper, all in the name of St Nick (not forgetting the baby Jesus of course). And that was precisely what I did.

Making gift tags has got to be one of my favourite, not to mention the easiest Christmas crafts to get involved in. All you need is a few magazines, or old Christmas cards...or in my case, old Christmas postage stamps, some card or ready made manilla luggage tags and a glue stick.

This particular idea came from many a Pinterest board, as well as a feature in the latest Country Living magazine supplement, and was so easy, even my 3 year old niece could get involved.

I'll admit the stamps were purchased from eBay in order to make sure they were all Christmas themed, and to save me rooting through the attic for my old stamp collection but, at a couple of quid for a job lot of about 60 festive stamps, I couldn't really complain.

It was so nice just sifting through the different motifs reminiscing with my mum about the ones I could remember from my childhood.
One of my fondest festive memories, is of waiting endlessly in the queue at the post office to buy a whole sheet of Christmas stamps to adorn our pile of cards and family newsletters to send out year after year.
Anyhoo, where were we...before I went off down Christmas memory lane. Ah yes...gift tags!

I picked and chose the ones I liked best, in pretty little combinations and that, really, was it. To jazz them up a bit and make them look a little bit more authentic, I added a franking stamp which was bought from a bargain bin at Hobbycraft, and I changed up the plain white string on the tags for some read and white striped bakers twine. And I'm not all ashamed in saying, I'm really quite pleased with the result. I'm thinking of even rocking the Post Office look by wrapping some of my gifts in brown kraft paper and adding a few spare postage stamps to the outside. What do we think? Too much? Oh what the heck, it's Christmas! Let's go all out.


Happy Crafting guys. I'll be back soon with a few more ideas.





  




3 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Where I work, we get quite a lot of stamps from countries all over the world - in the past I've popped them in the 'Guide Dogs for the Blind' collection bins, but I might start saving a few to make gift tags for all year round! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Its so easy, and so effective. You should definitely save a few from different countries. They would look amazing on gift tags but, ofcourse still donate a few to the Guide Dogs. :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. This idea in general is great. Love it!

    ReplyDelete