Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Wedding Diary: Save the Date!



I wasn't too sure whether or not I should start posting things about my wedding. A couple of close friends who've got married recently, kept all the details of their big day so close to their chest. Yet since we first got engaged, and I got the scrap-booking bug, I have been babbling on about themes, and decoration, and details like you wouldn't believe.

I started off writing this post, getting all ranty about the wedding industry, and moaning about friends at war with each other who've booked the same venue within weeks of each other, and now feel the need to compete with every little detail. But, I think that should be saved for another post. Maybe when I'm 2 weeks away from the 'big day' and the poop has hit the fan. Sounds like a good idea.

So instead, here's a little documentation of the lovely evening myself and the Mr spent, assembling our 'Save the Date' cards and watching Breaking Bad (Don't spoil it, we're only on Season 2).
If there's one thing that's stuck in my head from all the wedding blogs I've been reading, it that's you shouldn't sweat the small stuff, and just enjoy it. So that's exactly what we intend to do. Spend chilled out evenings together, doing little jobs in preparation and savouring every last second of it.

We wanted to keep our Save the Date's simple, and to the point. Something that would hint at the theme of our wedding but, without giving too much away. (This was also in-case I changed my mind about our overall theme. I had a habit of doing that early on in our engagement. Oops.)

The photo on our postcards was taken by my sister, as he was actually proposing (and putting the ring on my finger!). We have photo's documenting the whole proposal but, I felt that this one was just right, without sharing the very intimate moment of him actually down on one knee.
I played around with editing it in Photoshop, and then uploaded the image to Vistaprint to add the text.
Tip Off: The font we used, is called Coquette, and it is the same font used in The Little Paris Kitchen cookbook. (Rachel Khoo nerd!)

We had the stamp custom made from a designer on Etsy, who carved the rubber stamp on it's own. To save money, I bought a stamp block and double sided sticky pads on eBay and assembled the stamp myself. We ended up saving about half the price of a fully custom made rubber stamp.

The envelopes, were also purchased on eBay, as was the inkpad. The washi tape was purchased from Paperchase, although I later realised I could have got completely identical tape at half the price, also from eBay.

We started off by stamping all the envelopes, and leaving them to dry before taking it in turns to stick washi tape on the envelopes, then stuff and seal them. (We did half each because the Mr was complaining his mouth was getting dry from licking all those envelopes.)
And then I wrote all the names and addresses on them, because apparently my handwriting is neater than his.
Hey Presto!

I know the assembling of the invitations will probably be a lot more difficult than this, and more time consuming to say the least. But, it was certainly a nice little task to wean us into the whole DIYing aspect of our wedding preparations, and I'd urge any bride-to-be to try it out, even if it's just an evening of just her, and the Mr and some serious gluing action.  








9 comments:

  1. Oh my this is just so sweet!
    I am not engaged but this one is going in the mental wedding scrap book as the most gorgeous idea ever :)
    I have just stumbled upon your blog, its lovely! I shall be back :D
    Lottie xxx
    http://little-lottie-loves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lottie. I'm glad you like the blog. :)
      My mental wedding scrapbook has been growing since I was about 17 years old, I think.
      Expect many more wedding posts in the coming weeks. It's a steep learning curve, trying to do things on a budget but hopefully I can inspire a few other budget brides in the process.
      Thanks again.
      Take Care.
      Hannah. xx

      Delete
  2. So lovely and exciting! I really adore your blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad you like the blog. :)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!
    Your save the dates are beautiful!

    Caitlin
    www.atgatsbys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm starting to get so excited now. I know once Christmas has been and gone it's going to be action wedding stations. Eeeek!
      xx

      Delete
  4. These are gorgeous! The little stamps make things seem much more personal. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm hoping they will be a worthwhile investment because they will feature in a lot more wedding bits and pieces too.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I love the ideas of save the dates! A saw a friend-of-a-friend's one on Facebook yesterday- they're having a 1920s themed wedding, and their save the dates were so cool!! These are so beautiful and personal though, absolutely love them! xx

    ReplyDelete