Monday, 21 October 2013

An Autumn Walk



There's something about taking a brisk walk on a windy Autumn day, that definitely blows the cobwebs away.
Despite living in the city. I am lucky to be surrounded by some of the prettiest parks, Cardiff has to offer. My favourite, and closest being Thompsons Park. Something about this place just screams nostalgia to me. Wrought iron gates, and red brick columns frame the entrance way to flower beds (albeit looking quite sad at this time of year), and a duck pond scattered with shiny feathered Mallards, and a small brick kiosk which sells ice-creams in the summer.
Various paths lead off in a warren of trails which climb up into a huge field, outlined with Pine and Oak trees. This place is my haven.


On this particular day, I was in search of pine cones and conkers. Cones to decorate my chunky slate hearth, and conkers to apparently keep the spiders away. A downside to living in such an old draughty building.  





Although the conker hunt, wasn't so successful, I did come away with a bag full of pine cones. Not only as a result of the aid of an elderly lady with a boisterous border collie (who you can just make out coming bounding towards me in the photo above). She told me all the best spots in the park for pine cones, where people don't exercise their dogs, thankfully. And even gave me a little tip off for another nearby park which is abundant with Horse Chestnuts at this time of year.
Needless to say, if the rain holds off tomorrow, I shall be venturing there in my boots and duffle coat ready for an Autumn forage.


  
 Who cares if I look a bit crazy, with my carrier bag sticking out of my pocket. I may get funny looks from the locals, thinking “Why is that little girl (FYI, I'm nearly 25!) trudging about staring at the floor?” An hour or so of fresh air, surrounded by green, soothes my soul more than any soppy movie or bar of chocolate ever could. Ok, maybe not the chocolate but, you know what I'm getting at.






No comments:

Post a Comment