Sunday, 4 August 2013

Home Comforts: Fresh Bed Linen


One of my favourite home comforts comes from the simplest of actions which is, changing the bed linen. When life gets a little bit too hectic and you feel like all you do is work, eat and sleep, something as simple as putting a fresh duvet cover and pillow cases on your bed can solve a multitude of ill and exhausted feelings. I often like to do it, to help mark the weekend. A clean duvet cover is often celebrated in our house by a lengthy lie-in and possibly even a quick flick through Country Living or whatever book is currently stashed in my bedside cabinet. I once dared change the bedding mid-week, and was swiftly met with an icy response from the Mr stating how cruel it was the change the sheets on a Wednesday, when he had to get up early for work the next morning.

It's the smell of the clean sheets that gets me every time. That fatal combination of fabric softener, fresh air, and maybe a little bit of Lavender linen water. (That is, if I can be bothered to iron them. Most of the time, I'm simply too excited to just get them on the bed.) It just wreaks of comfort, in one long deep breath.
And everyone's got their favourite duvet cover of course. I don't think anyone would expect any less of me, if I said mine was a Cath Kidston one. Especially with my mix-and-match pillow cases.

For me, a bed needs to be a sanctuary, a place to dream while your both awake and asleep. When I was younger, my cast-iron day bed was surrounded by a white mosquito net hung from the ceiling, which would be drawn round the entire bed every night, to protect me from nightmares. Apparently I used to think it was magic too.



Nowadays, I rest in a hand-me-down bed frame which came with the rental property, as I dream of brass foot-railings a la Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and pretend the noise of freight trains nearby is that of the North York Moors Steam Railway. As I rest my head on mis-matched pillows, I drift off to land where I own a chocolaterie and patisserie combined, and when I awake I am not in Cardiff but in the rolling hills of Liguria, ready to face the day with a heaving a bowl of pasta waiting for me at the end of it. Aaaah... Bliss!



1 comment:

  1. Nice cushion covers. If you have a Bed Linens in this design please share to me. Because I will buy it.

    ReplyDelete