Wednesday, 24 July 2013

My Day in Cuppas


I've recently been inspired by two of my favourite online reads. The first being the lovely Miss Charlotte of The Tea Drinking English Rose, the second being Simple Things Magazine, online blog. Anyone who knows me well, knows that I could harp on about the benefits of a good cup of tea for hours. I often like to get on my soap box, and preach the history and wonders of the Tea industry but, I shall save particular that personality trait for another time.
I will however, share with you “ My Day in Cuppas” as I like to call it. And let you in on a few of my rituals with mug in hand. Enjoy!
 French press coffee with Banana cinnamon porridge.

Which is your favourite mug?
I've actually got quite a few favourite mugs. The mug or cup I choose depends massively on what kind of mood I'm in. If I'm having a lazy morning, then it's usually a cup and saucer. Around lunch time I'll have a hefty earthenware mug, and then in the evening, I go for something a bit smaller and daintier, so I'm not up in the night rushing to the loo. (Too much info?) But if I had to choose an all time favourite, I think it would be my Emma Bridgewater hearts mug. It's very girlie but still holds a 'man-sized' amount of tea, as my Mr would say.

Who are your favourite people to share tea with?
It's only now that I've realised just how many people I like drinking tea with. The girls in the office at work, first thing in the morning. My Mum and Dad, with the table laid 'for tea', putting the world to right. My best friend, sat at his kitchen table with the dog on my lap having a good ole catch-up. And who can forget my Mr, snuggled up on the sofa, debating the latest controversies of the Tour de France highlights.

Oat & Raisin cookies, and my little Polish mug.

Can you remember your first time you ever tried tea?
I can't remember an exact time. I think it was when I was about 7 years old. I had to learn to make a cup of tea and produce a batch of fairy cakes for my Brownie Hostess Badge. I can remember I left it to go practically stone cold before I would drink it, because I tried taking a sip fresh from the boil and nearly burnt the skin off the roof of my mouth. Ever since, I've always left my tea atleast 10 mins before attemping to take the first sip.

How many cups of tea do you drink a day?
About 4 or 5. Two in the morning, one around lunchtime, one for an afternoon pick me up, and one in the evening to help switch my brain off before bedtime.

A stack of biscuits, and my favourite retro sugar shaker.

When is your first tea break?
Usually Elevenses. I'll have my first cup of tea of the day (I always have coffee first thing, Oops) and flick the telly on for half an hour to take a break from my morning 'To-Do List'. If I'm feeling a bit peckish, I'll have a biscuit to go with it too. This usually helps suppress my hunger until around lunchtime.

Which is your favourite cuppa of the day?
Definitely in the evening. By this point, I'm about ready for bed. I'll put my pj's on while the Mr boils the kettle, then join him on the sofa to watch something mindless like QI, or an old episode of Friends before heading off to the land of nod. It's our quiet time. The time when I stop answering my phone, switch of all social networking and begin to unwind.

Pottering about in the garden. Picking Geranium petals out of my Rosemary plant.

Cake or biscuits? And, are you a dunker?
It has to be cake! I do love a biscuit or two but, for me the ceremony of making a cup of tea must be accompanied by a wedge of cake you can eat with your fingers, or something slightly dainty that requires a fork. I love food, and often find that mealtimes go past in the blink of an eye, so anything we can do to make mealtimes, or teatimes go that little bit slower, should definitely be cherished.
As for dunking, I've learned from my Mr's mistakes that dunking is not a good idea. Many a time has he frantically scrabbled for the teaspoon trying to fish out half a bourbon, or custard cream only to have to sift the rest through his teeth when he reaches the bottom of the mug. Rookie mistake!

Blogging and scribbling down ideas.

How do you make your tea?
I will throw my hands up and admit now, that if I'm gasping for a cuppa mid-afternoon then I have on occasion thrown bag into mug and stirred vigorously for fear of passing out from lack of Yorkshire's finest. However, if I'm joined by anyone else, I always make sure to use the teapot. This always makes me laugh because my Grandmother is appauled by the fact that I even use tea bags.
If I'm making it in the mug, milk goes in after, until I get the required shade of turpentine but, if it's being brewed in the tea pot then the milk must go in first. No exceptions.

Curled up on the sofa in my pyjamas.

And finally...If you could enjoy a cup of tea with anyone, living or dead, who would it be, and why?
I think it would have to be Jane Austen. She was such an intelligent and witty woman, that I bet you could have such an interesting conversation with her. Plus, the Georgians certainly knew how to make a big deal of 'taking tea'. 

And there you have it folks. I hope you've enjoyed this little insight into my world of tea (and coffee) drinking.
I'd love to hear about your tea rituals too. Do you have a favourite mug? Are you a make it in the mug, or teapot kind of person?
What are your favourite tea-time treats?


No comments:

Post a Comment